92' WAS A GOOD YEAR!!!

1992: A Four-Part Series

Part 1:

In the year 1992, I became a mother for the first time. My firstborn, and only son, Preon was born.

    Me and Preon home from the 
        hospital; 1992

I had no idea how I would be someone's Mom. I was 20 years old; Preon was born exactly five months and one day before my 21st birthday.

I looked in his eyes, and this precious baby was staring back at me; I knew I had to take care of him. (His father was in prison at the time of his birth and would be later killed when Preon was six months old and I was two months pregnant with my second child).  I never knew a love like the love I had for my son; it is an unexplainable feeling of completeness, profound joy, and perfection, all rolled into one tiny body.
As time went on, I mastered the art of caring for another human being. Preon and I grew together; I    learned so much about my strength, determination, and drive to be the best I could be.


Preon was such a happy baby because
I was such a happy Mom (read that again)

Preon grew into a young man most Mom's wish they had, and the type of young man I am beyond proud to be the Mother of. He excelled in many things; Preon played T-Ball, Softball, Basketball, Football, LaCrosse, Karate, and he dibbled and dabbled in other things as well. He loved riding his dirt bike, skateboard, inline skates, scooters, whatever was popular, Preon did it. Today, his favorite hobby is hiking. He also enjoys a good glass of wine, and foods from various cultures.

As an infant/toddler, I raised him on Disney movies. 101 Dalmatians was his favorite! He'd sit and stare at the puppies on the screen and literally say, "OOF-OOF" (his version of barking). He came to love Batman, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and the Rugrats! Until this day, you will find remnants of his childhood in his Arizona home that he shares with his girlfriend Laylanie and their dog Pico.

Preon is a former student of ASU and is now a successful businessman who has traveled the world conducting business. In his spare time, he works with "At-Promise" Youth (not at-risk; change the narrative folks) and tutors/mentors them. Preon is huge on Community Service and since COVID has hindered his ability to provide in person, he still finds ways to donate and give back. Preon has lived in California, Arizona, Austin TX, and back to Arizona!

Preon chose his own life path. I raised him to be strong, independent, confident, spontaneous, ambitious, and true to himself.  I will always celebrate my son for being who he is; nothing will stop me from being proud of him. Preon does things his way and guess what, HIS way is working!

 February 11, 2021, I celebrate my firstborn, my ONLY son, my first love. Preon shares the same birthday as my Grandfather who has passed on; they are two of my favorite guys!

As I bring this post to a close, I would just like to say, if it were not for COVID, I'd be on a plane to AZ to celebrate with my son because that's what I do. I travel to be with him on his birthdays and my heart is heavy this year that I cannot be with him on his birthday, in person. On the other hand, I am grateful we have life and energy to celebrate this year via FaceTime. There will always be next year!

I want to leave you all with some of my favorite shots of my handsome son as well as some fun facts from the year 1992; 1992 was a good year!!!!

    Preon and I last year on his birthday in Austin, TX

                        Preon in Austin, TX
                                                                                                Preon is still full of joy and laughter!
                    My businessman.
                                                                                                                    Preon loves hiking!

Here are 10 things that were going on in 1992:

1. John Gotti, head of the Gambino crime family, is sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

2. Bill Clinton wins the presidential election to become the 42nd President of the United States. His wife, Hilary, announced her campaign for the 2016 Democratic nomination earlier this year.

3. The LA Riots occur following the acquittal of the police offers involved in the beating of Rodney King in 1991. According to the LA Times, more than 60 people died over five days as the city was looted and set on fire.

4. Popular movies "Aladdin," "Sister Act," "The Bodyguard," "Basic Instinct" and "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" are all released.

5. Whitney Houston sets a then-record with "I Will Always Love You" staying at no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks. Houston covered the song, originally sung by Dolly Parton, for "The Bodyguard." She also starred in the film.

8. The Washington Redskins  Football Team win the Super Bowl XXVI, beating the Buffalo Bills, 37-24.

9. The Chicago Bulls win the NBA championship for the second year in a row with the help of Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

    10. Kris Kross, known for songs such as "Jump," are notably wearing their clothing backwards.


As always, I appreciate your virtual footprint traffic on my blog! Tell a friend and stop by anytime to read my content!

Comments

  1. This was a great mother and son story, Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great mother and son story, Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a relatable and heartfelt post! An enjoyable read! Happy birthday to your firstborn SUN!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment...

Popular Posts