Why I Do What I Do.



During the past couple years, I have found myself in spaces (Zoom and webinar spaces) with many individuals I have learned from and collaborated with. During one of those meetings, I was surrounded by other professors and the guest speaker (also a professor) asked the question: "Why do you do what you do?" My answer was simple: "I want to be the professor I didn't have."

My response was not a snub to the countless professors I encountered during my educational journey, however, I had so many professors and can only recall the names of a handful. There were courses I took at the community college level which had certain requirements but many of those requirements did not prepare me for what was waiting at the university level. I was familiar with researching but nit to the degree that the university expected, APA Format? what is that? group collaboration? really? There was so much I was not prepared for. I wanted to be a professor who did not stand in front of the class and lecture for several hours without hearing what my students had to say. Students have thoughts, ideas, and experiences that most professors do not about because they're busy "lecturing" instead of collaborating.

Students who come through my courses are typically working in the field of study already, are volunteering, or are close to being there. I like to share real-life experiences with them reflecting the course content and hear from them what they are experiencing or may think they will experience. I    know the material, I know what the course texts say, I want to hear from my students after they've had a chance to ingest the readings. It helps to gauge their understanding and it helps me to know what they are experiencing and provide additional guidance and direction if necessary. Additionally, hearing from my students also keeps me in touch with what is occurring in the real-world; how classrooms are being ran and what administrators and teachers are doing or not doing.

There are countless benefits to seeing your students as colleagues and not people who want to hear you regurgitate the same lecture you've come so comfortable with presenting. The field of education changes daily and as professors, we should keep up with that; constantly find ways o improve how we deliver the information to our students and how we nurture those relationships. Creating classroom environments of community and acceptance of all cultures is a great way to begin.

I remember working with teachers who refused to attend professional developments or change how they were teaching because "it's how they always taught it" and they did not like change. Those are the type of teachers I warn my students to not become. Everyone's "why" reason is different. Today, I'm sharing mine. What is your "why"?

Comments

Popular Posts