WORDS ARE FREE...

Plant growing

It costs nothing to encourage and uplift a person with your words. 

It can cost everything to destroy a person with your words. Whenever I think of my verbal interactions with others, a quote by Maya Angelou comes to mind: "People forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel."

This is especially true when it comes to speaking to our most precious cargo- children. Children are very impressionable and they often hold on to our words as they are taking in many things around them during their developmental years. It is imperative that we consider our interactions with young children and their families.

Consider this: if you own a plant or two, or 20, you understand that the growth of a plant is contingent upon how you treat that plant, right? To ensure that your plants are healthy and thrive, you take intentional steps to give them everything needed to grow. This may include but not be limited to watering, giving vitamins, spraying with Neem Oil, trimming, misting, re-potting, and even talking to them encouragingly and positively. Personally, I speak positively to my plants all the time; I even speak to my car when I get in him (Blue) to drive ( I name all my cars and give them genders). 

Just imagine: if speaking positively and encouraging to plants can help them grow, think what speaking kindly to humans can do! It is so easy in the moment of disappointment or anger to say harsh words to someone, but we should consider pausing for a moment and choosing our words wisely. This is not something that came naturally to me but as I took the time to be intentional and mindful of my words, it became something I got better at; especially during my years as a preschool teacher.

We want to be intentional and mindful of our exchanges with adults as well. Colleagues, parents, families, and community members alike. Our words can definitely have a lasting impression long after the conversation and interaction, but the feelings associated with those words can last a lifetime. Let us do our best to put positive energy and words into others, the world has enough negativity. Be the reason someone believes in good people; good people still do exist.

Article Share:

Never forget: Consistency is more important than perfection! Until we chat again, bye for now.




Comments

Popular Posts