We Must Train Our Minds...

"LEARNING IS LIFELONG."




This is a quote I often used with my own children as they were growing up. I also used this during my time as a preschool teacher; I often shared this with my colleagues and the parents and families I worked with. Currently, I share this with my students in my courses and with my clients. At some point in my life, someone shared this quote with me and I never forgot it, or its meaning. WE NEVER STOP LEARNING. WE HAVE TO BE OPEN TO LEARNING new ways, methods, and practices.

As parents, caregivers, teachers, instructional assistants, support staff, directors, and administrators, we must practice the ability to be humble.

We must train our minds to be stronger than our emotions or else we will find ourselves "losing it". When we find ourselves in situations where advice and feedback is given, are we open to that, or do we believe that we are above being given advice and or feedback? It is necessary to our growth and development that we remain humble and are teachable. Why? Because the world is bigger than our views; our views of the world are but a tiny speck; there is so much knowledge and wisdom to be gained by allowing ourselves to be humble enough to be taught, regardless of our level of education or experiences. There's always room for improvement or new ideas, there's always room to begin a new way of thinking.

My background and passion is rooted in Early Childhood Education. When I speak, I often think of my role in guiding young children and their families and being open to learn about their cultures, their beliefs, and their traditions. This has allowed me to create and maintain relationships with children and families both in and out of the classroom environment. As I transitioned out of the preschool classroom as a teacher and moved on work as a coach and Regional Trainer and now professor, I have always remembered to remain humble and teachable. I am open to teaching and coaching what I know, but also learning from anyone I come into contact with. I may specialize in the field of Early Education, but I do not know everything; there's always room for growth.

We must always be proud of our efforts and how hard working we are, but we must always be proud of our ability to take a step back and allow someone to assist us, guide us and train us. After all, every great leader was once a great follower.










Comments

Popular Posts