1993 Was A Good Year!

1993: A Four-Part Series

Part 4

When she was born, I  remember looking at her and thinking, "she's so pretty!"
That would become her nickname, PRETTIE

04/19/1993
If I had to choose one word to describe my second born child, that word would be "anchor". Prettie holds it down on so many levels. She has always been tenacious, outspoken, independent, and self-sufficient. Funny story: my baby shower for Jaedyn came to an end and there were a few folks still around. We were laughing, talking, and lightly cleaning. All of a sudden, we hear the vacuum cleaner and we look up, and it's Prettie vacuuming the area where the festivities had taken place. We all literally paused and watched her; she was seven years old and she was handling that vacuum cleaner like a grown woman. Vacuum in one hand, cord in the other. After the pause, we all fell out in a roar of laughter because we were shocked she was doing that. As her mother, that was the first time I'd seen her vacuum; she had been watching me clean for years and I guess she decided that day, she was going to help her very pregnant mother out. Prettie has, until this day, never stopped helping her mother out. 

In our home, we all call Prettie "other momma" because she's a miniature version of me. However, I tell folks all the time, she's a better version of me. Both she and Preon were born during my early 20's so we grew up together and we experienced a lot together; they are both so strong and resilient. Prettie will step in to help me out in a heartbeat and she's truly an amazing big and little sister; ask any of her siblings.

Prettie is definitely an introvert. She is content being alone and reading a good book, watching Hallmark movies, and minding her own business; she will also go the movie theater alone (once upon a time). But there is also side of Prettie that when she does decide to get out have a good time, she knows just how to have a good time. I mean, she is an ASU graduate! (insider)
She loves to travel, try new foods, she's an avid online shopper (worse than me), and she is one of the most intelligent human beings I've met; honestly. She easily fits in no matter where she goes, and if she doesn't fit in, that's your business, not hers! She will give it to you straight, no chaser, but will also be that listening ear and voice of reason for you. We are so similar, it's scary at times.

I have three daughters and all hold very special and different values in my life. Jehovah gave me Prettie so that no matter what, I'll never be alone. He gave me Prettie so that no matter what, I will have a best friend, a shopping buddy, a colleague, and a well-rounded human in my life until I take my last breathe. The two of us can be be in a room full of people and can read a room in a matter of minutes and take one look at each other and know how we should proceed for the remainder of the event, IF we decide to stay. Kindred spirits is an understatement but it so accurately describes our bond. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

When I gave birth to Prettie, I was young. Their father was killed seven months before I gave birth to her and I was still trying to honor his wishes of naming her after him. However, that was challenging since he had two other daughters named Preontey and Preonna. I had to get creative with Pretties's name so I named her Preonshatae. Years later, I regretted it; I tried to convince her we should change her name but she was not having it. If you know Prettie, then you know.

She was determined that her name would not define her and she was determined that she would demand the respect she deserved regardless of her name, and you better believe she has done just that. I am such a proud mom as Prettie has gone on to receive several degrees and specialized certificates. She holds a BS, a MSW, certificates in Animal Assisted SW and a Pediatric Mental Health Institute Certificate from Children's Hospital, Denver, CO where she completed her internship and she graduated from the University of Denver Summa cum laude. She is the better version of me.

Here's a few of my favorite pics of the two of us:
My Prettie Gurl
Me and my three beautiful daughters
Prettie and I on a cruise together
In the car waiting on Haley to finish Acro Tumbling practice 
Prettie in Greece
In Greece enjoying life!
On a train in Italy
The two of us in Denver, CO
Her birthday weekend in AZ #24
HAPPY CAKE DAY PRETTIE! CAKED BY HER BROTHER
Early morning movie trip several years ago.
A collage of some of our times together
2015. She made sure her sisters were well taken care of while Ed and I were out of town. She often does this for us.
The day she graduated from ASU with her BS. Such a proud day for me.

These two share an unbreakable bond.

HAPPY 28TH BIRTHDAY PREONSHATAE

MOMMY LOVES YOU!!!!







Comments

Popular Posts