R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

“People crave for more respect than love, because they expect love only from few people but they want respect from everyone.” 


RESPECT. This topic is debatable due to the fact that there are various perceptions of the word and what it means. I came across this definition while looking for the most simple, yet detailed definition of the word:
"esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or somethingconsidered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability" - Reference Here

WORTH and EXCELLENCE; two very powerful words.
In dealing with various individuals on a daily basis in our busy lives, we encounter people from all walks of life. I have stated before, and I stand behind the adage, "You reap what you sow".  How you treat people is usually how they will treat you; usually. However, what happens when you treat others with respect and you find that you do not receive the same in return? What then?

Throughout my professional and personal experiences, I have learned that sometimes, you just have to train  teach others how to respect YOU. It's kind of like, "if a tree falls in the forest but no one hears it fall, did it fall?" If I allow you to be disrespectful to me and not address it, does that mean it's okay? If I don't tell you how you made me feel, and that feeling was very unpleasant, will you not continue to treat me and make me feel some "kind of way"?
Without me getting too deep into why people treat others with little to no respect, I will just say, people carry their baggage with them wherever they may go and you just may have to deal with it on occasion. But at a certain point, you'll have to say, "Carry your own shit stuff!"

At the end of the day, knowing your own WORTH and EXCELLENCE will empower you to stand up for yourself and demand respect regardless to what capacity it is in; personal or professional. You will also learn that being disrespectful is how some people perceive their level of power. You minimize that power by exerting your own power by having a voice and a firm stance.





Comments

Popular Posts