When the Going Gets Tough...

Its tough out here! Where is here? California, life, job hunting, educating oneself... its tough period. Nevertheless, when the going gets tough, the tough get going! As you all know, I am a former Preschool teacher of 16 years. Due to the fact that I resigned back in February, I have been in search of a major career change; this has been a difficult task to say the least.

I have a wealth of experience in Early Education, teaching, training, facilitating, and mentoring but... I CAN'T FIND A JOB!!!! (that was my rant for the day!) Seriously, it has been difficult. One of the major obstacles I have encountered is having a Masters degree. Odd? Yes, very odd. I have interviewed for jobs that pay considerably less than what I made as a teacher; when they find out my previous salary, they quickly mention how much less I will be making and...the call of doom arrives or I never hear anything back.

My current dilemma is taking the advice of some to "dummy down" my resume. This is something I am not interested in doing. I received my degrees with hard work, dedication, sacrifice of time with my family, countless hours of research and studying, and no social life. I take pride in my accomplishments and saying I only possess a BS when I possess a MS is unthinkable to me.

Then there's the fact that I lack the actual "experience" a new job may be looking for; they've never met me or worked with with me. Although I could perform many of the jobs I'm applying for with my eyes shut, I have no way of proving that to my new "Boss". The thought of returning to school to attain "another" degree is unsettling for me. We have two children in college and that is very expensive; we have our own student loans plus parent loans. To return to school would just put us more in debt.

Nevertheless...I have to keep GOING! There is a position with my name on it out there. I'm not very religious but God and I have a great relationship. He's always there when I need him and I talk to HIM often; he gives great advice like, "be patient my child", "I have something in mind for you my child". While I'm being patient, I continue to search in faith that one day, my job that's out there waiting on me, will recognize the jewel I am and scoop me up!

Comments

  1. I have had the same dilemma for the past two years. :-( And as far away from children I try to get the more they seem to pull me closer. Have you thought about being your own boss? I have no doubt that you can do it whether it's having your own preschool facility or having some type of program for children. You have A God given talent and I was very lucky to have been mentored by THE best EEC teacher in LAUSD history! I am striving to be the second best. ;-) I am sure God has a plan for you, you just need to listen carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanna, thank you so much for your kind words. At this point in my life, I am looking to make a career change. Teaching is something I will always be passionate about, I just need to decide exactly which realm of teaching I'm interested in. God has indeed blessed me with a raw talent and I am confident there is an organization/company out there who will truly appreciate my talents. Sometimes, we have to know when to walk away and move on no matter how difficult a decision it may be. In the end, my health, sanity, and safety are truly important to me if I am to continue to work in any organization.

      I too, am confident God has a plan for me. I am listening, even if it's not something I'm not ready to hear!

      On another note, I am only a phone call or email away if you need and advice or assistance. It was my pleasure working with you. You are a remarkable teacher and I know you'll do great things for our children! Blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. Have you thought of teaching on the college level at least part time. When I left my stressful job I finally had time to pursue adjunct work with the University of Phoenix. Was a long process to get hired but I taught five classes in like six months because of how their classes are set up. It's not rolling in dough money but it's a good way to gain a different kind of experience potentially. And it helped me transition from full time mental health work which was draining me to an academic position that I start this fall. Better pay, less hours, different kind of impact on students and I can take a day a week to do part time mental health work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually thought about doing that. Not sure where to start, but I attempted to teach at a college about a year ago; the position was given to a faculty member already employed. I will look into it again and see what happens. Teaching adults is something I also have extensive experience in. Ironically, I updated my profile on LinkedIN a few days ago and I made contact with an individual who works there. I sent her an email regarding employment opportunities; hopefully something will work out. This is excellent advice! Thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment...

Popular Posts