Please and Thank You!

The past week has been a very busy week for me, but then what else is new? I had so many experiences this past week that I pondered what I should write about. My eldest sister and her family have what is known as Junk Food Fridays so I copied her last night and I suggested to hubby and the kids that we have Wing Stop. Coming out of Wing Stop, I looked across the street and McDonald's was calling my name; well, the Strawberry Lemonade was! Make a long story short, I'm one of those people who believes that God places where I need to be, even if it's not where I want to be. As fate would have it, the syrup for the lemonade is empty and needs to be refilled. Instead of me telling McDonald's how unprepared they are because my wings are outside with hubby getting cold, I patiently waited. While I waited, a "lil person" (I affectionately call children this) approached the counter and said, "I need a Ranch (dressing)" after look at one another, the employees pulled out a Ranch Dressing and gave it gave it to him. Now, I'm assuming his parent(s) are close y because he looks no older than about eight years old. He then said, "I need another one". Me being the Teacher that I am, bent down so he could hear me and I said, "Say please and thank you"; he said it, smiled at me and walked off.
Was that my business? YES it was! Could his parent(s) approach me and say "don't speak to my kid that way"? YES, but I wouldn't mind. I believe that some children have lost their manners because some parents have lost theirs. Bold, but true statement.
Another example: I stopped to get donuts for the staff at my daughters Middle School and my staff. Without even thinking about it, I said please and thank you to the lady behind the counter; its honestly a part of my daily vocabulary because I have so many people (children and adults) who are watching my every move and word. An older gentleman next to me waiting to order said, "You know, people don't use use those words too much anymore, I rarely hear please and thank you anymore". Of course I enlightened him with my theory as to why we don't hear those words too often anymore, but that's another blog!
My point is this: I work with about five different Assistants in my classroom everyday. I have 26 students, of which three are special needs students, and I interact with about 30 more staff throughout the day. It is very important to me to show the staff in my class that they are appreciated and that I know we are all doing an important job. So when I ask them to do something, I make sure to say please and thank you each and every time. Not only do my staff appreciate that about me, I am setting an example for my students who are watching. There have been times when a student has asked for more milk or a different activity in a learning center and did not say please and thank you. I did not have to correct them because their peers did. They have become accustomed to me "expecting" it from them and see and hear me use them daily.
Are we setting this type of example for our children as parents? When you are asking for the remote or a glass of water or for the dishes to be done, are you saying please and thank you? Although you know that as a parent, they will do it because you asked, it doesn't take much to say please and thank you. You are teaching manners that will be passed on for years to come.

I know that your time is precious and valuable, and I thank you for sharing it with me. Until we chat again...

Comments

Popular Posts