We Are All Alike, We Are All Different...

That's the title of a book I like to share with my students often. Lately, the topic of diversity and being culturally sensitive has come up a lot. I had a friend to ask me about age-appropriate books to share with her daughter, and later the same day, I read my friend Leslie's Blog about Diversity. As parents, this can often be a touchy conversation to have with our Early Learners (preschool aged children), yet it is a necessary conversation. After reading Leslie's Blog, I decided I would call her this evening and speak to her directly. I enjoy reading her blogs and I thought it would be a great idea to share my knowledge and wisdom with her. During our conversation, I gave Leslie a long list of books as well as some timely advice regarding dealing with Diversity in a Preschool setting. I hope the following information is helpful to you all as well.

  • Check the classroom environment for a variety of multicultural materials such as books, pictures, toys, etc.
  • If you don't see a lot present, donate these items to the classroom teacher.
  • Volunteer to come in and read to students. When you arrive to read, have plenty of multicultural books handy to share with the students.
  • Suggest that for Thanksgiving and or Christmas, parents share their favorite recipes and a classroom recipe book can be created and shared with all the families. Its very simple to create, just ask me!
  • Use Parent Conferences to discuss with the teacher what the requirements of the school are in regards to multicultural lessons, activities, etc. Ask if staff have been trained in this area.
  • Arrange for play dates with classmates who look "different". When children are able to play with one another outside of school, they have an opportunity to bond a little more.
  • Update the library of your children's room with books that reflect all cultures.
  • As parents, do our friends reflect diversity? Do our children see us interacting with others of various cultures and colors?
This is definitely a great topic to discuss. I have shared with you only a few ideas. I challenge you all to think of other ways we can address this topic and share your thoughts here. Another parent may find your advice helpful.

Here is a list of great Multicultural Books:

  • The Black Snowman
  • Kevin and his Dad
  • Margaret and Margarita
  • A Birthday Basket for Tia
  • Apple Pie, Fourth of July
  • Happy to be Nappy
  • Whoever You Are
  • Nappy
  •  We All Sing With the Same Voice
  • We Are All Alike, We Are All Different
  • Bein' With You This Way
  • Mama, Do You Love Me?
  • Bee-bim Bop!
  • My Nose, Your Nose
Happy Reading!!!  
Don't forget to  Like my Page
Follow me on Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts