Is It A Movement Or Nah?

LIFE. Life can be glorious. Life can be beautiful. Life can be challenging. Life can be unpredictable. Life moves at the speed of light. Encompassing life and everything it has to offer can be one hell of a ride! As women, we often tackle these things in life- joy and pain- often without even blinking or missing a step. But what happens when that problem or issue we thought wasn't too big of a deal becomes insurmountable? Who do we turn to? Often times, we turn to our closest friends, our sisters; those who are blood and those we were gifted by God for a lack of blood bonds. There's something about being encouraged, inspired and motivated by a fellow femme; a FEMALE. Lately, there has been a "movement" (I put that word in quotes because do they ever last?) of #IAMFEMALE. While it is the most popular thing right now, for me it is a way of life. In my opinion, supporting and being there for one another as women should not be a movement but a way of life; it is something I take pride in.

When you say you're a friend do you really know what you're saying? In essence, you are saying, "I will be here for you whenever you need me- not when it's convenient but whenever you need me. You are saying that you will be supportive, you will be a listening (unbiased, non-judgmental) ear and a strong shoulder. You are saying that you know your life is full of us and downs as well but you will always make time to simply "be there" when needed. You are saying, I am your sister, I am your keeper, I am YOU; because in reality, you could be her one day and she could be you one day. As adults, we have established a specific group of people we "choose" to associate ourselves with and give them titles. Personally, I have endearing names for my friends-it makes me feel a closer connection to them. While I have several blood sisters, my closest friends are an extension of my sisterhood and the word friend is not something I use loosely.

It's easy to say I'm strong, I got this; it's easy to say, "If that were me, I would..." but you never really know how strong you are until you are forced to be strong. It is in those moments of strength that we often find our weaknesses as well. Be the type of FEMALE that is not afraid to share; if you don't share no one will know you are in need. Be the type of FEMALE who can receive the shared information and act upon it as true friend should. Be the type of FEMALE who is proud to call herself a "Sister-friend" because she embodies the true meaning of sisterhood while being a friend at all times, not only in times of "movements".

For me, being FEMALE is not a movement, it's a way of life!





Comments

Popular Posts